Monday, September 1, 2014

Poppies for Color Throwdown #307

Hi everyone, I finally had a chance to make this week's Color Throwdown #307 card today.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute.  But at least I have a good excuse.  Our son, Nick, had to decide between working for Boy Scouts of America in South Dakota or in Madison, Wisconsin.  Thankfully, he chose Madison.  Much closer to home!  We moved his stuff to WI over the weekend, so I been traveling over the last 2 days.  I am so happy he has found a great job and doing what he has dreamed of doing for quite a while.  Such a bittersweet experience, knowing that chances of Nick moving back home are pretty slim.  I'm so glad to see the next phase of his life starting and next summer he will be standing at the altar to take his lovely fiance, Danielle, as his wife.  Exciting times ahead.  


Now, back to my card.  We had three colors to work with this week...Crushed Curry, Pacific Point and Old Olive.  Again, a great color combination.  
I started by water painting SU's "Pacific Point" onto Tim Holtz's watercolor paper.  I cut the watercolor paper with Lil' Inker's "Stitched Oval" die.  I then inked up the Poppy flowers from Penny Black's "Blooming Garden" with Memento's "Tuxedo Black" ink and colored the flowers with Copic Markers #s Y15 and G99.  I then used PB's "Field of Dreams" die to cut out the flowers.  I mounted them onto the "Pacific Point" oval die.  I didn't have any "Crushed Curry" card stock, so I chose the next color closest to it.  I used SU's "Summer Sun", which I dry embossed with Life Crafts "Bloom" ef.  I used some "Old Olive" ribbon and a button to finish off the card and die cut out the word "Enjoy" from PaperTrey Ink's "Wet Paint Cuts Dies".  I mounted everything on SU's "Old Olive" card stock.  

The card isn't want I envisioned from the start, but the layout is what I was going for.  I was just hoping to water color the whole card.  It just didn't work as well as I wanted it to.   I love how it turned out though!


Thank you for stopping by and don't forget to check out the other beautiful cards at Color Throwdown Blog.

4 comments :

  1. Lovely card and great use of the colors!! Those poppies are gorgeous!! Love the embossed background. Thxs for joining us at CTD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so pretty Sue. Love the flowers against the blue oval. The textures background looks awesome. Thank you for playing along with us at The Color Throwdown this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it turned out, Sue! Sometimes the "card knows best," lol! You really made those colors sing! That is exciting that Nick chose Madison. Our son Dan went to graduate school at Madison and lived there for six or seven years. We even bought a house with him there, he was married there, and the twins were born there, so we spent a LOT of time in Madison and absolutely loved the town. And, most importantly, it's great that he will be closer! Especially with the wedding coming up! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fabulous colors, texture and design Sue.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.