Sunday, March 2, 2014

Make It Monday #153 - Watercolor background

I had to  make a few birthday cards this weekend for my sister, so I decided to use Dawn McVey's watercolor technique she showed on PTI's Capture the Moment for this week's challenge.

I stamped "Happy Birthday" (PTI's "Keep It Simple: Birthday" set) in Versamark and embossed it with clear embossing powder and water colored with SU's "Bermuda Bay" ink.  I then used PTI's "Embroidered Blooms" and stamped the leaves in SU's Pear Pizzazz and then stamped the flowers in SU's "Real Red" and "Strawberry Slush".  I finished off the card with green twine and a red button
 I attached it to a white card base and then onto a blue/green piece of card stock from a local scrapbook store.  I really loved how this card came together.  The water color background was perfect for these colors. 

I loved how this card turned out, so I thought I would make another one.  On this card, I water colored with SU's "Coastal Cabana" ink and stamped "Happiest Wishes on you Birthday" from SU's "Happiest Birthday Wishes" in Versamark and embossed it with Pearl White embossing powder.  I used PTI's "Daydreamer" stamp set to stamp the poppies in SU's "Calypso Coral" and Pear Pizzazz" inks.  I cut out the card from Spellbinders "Labels #8" and placed it on white card stock (also using Spellbinders "Labels #8" die cut) and mounted it on a green/blue piece of card stock bought at a local scrapbook store.  I finished the card off with white ribbon by SU.    I liked how this one turned out too.  I just may do a few more of these this week. 

Thank you Dawn for highlighting this technique this week.  I really enjoyed it.  Don't forget to stop by Captured by the Moment and check out the great cards others have posted this week.   Thanks for stopping by!




3 comments :

  1. Very pretty cards, Sue! I am loving the watercolor look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these cards Sue! They look so bright and cheery, and we definitely need that here in Michigan! You did a great job with the watercolored background...it adds such a softness to your cards! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are so pretty! Love that watercolored wash background with the bright colors stamped over top!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.